Friday, June 25, 2010

Knife Sale



This is what happens when you leave your knife unattended at the end of the work day, and your mischievous coworkers are feeling playful: they start an auction for it, starting at 20 yen.

I made a bid, but sadly the owner appeared just in time. Maybe next time.

My first two weeks are almost over. As a wise friend advised me before I left, I'm counting my days in two-week chunks. Why? She said that until I get used to it, if I count in hours (9-10 a day) or days (4/5 a week), then I'll get unnecessarily stressed out. And of course, wise as she is, this is proving to be true. On top of everything else, the last thing I need is to look at the days stretching out in the front of me and panic.

Surprisingly quickly (for me anyway), though, my body's already showing signs of adapting. My feet no longer feel on fire at the end of the day, I wake up before my 6:00 am alarm, and I'm starting to understand the kitchens' rhythms more and more. It's a great feeling.

More soon, when I can. Gotta get my beauty sleep.

3 comments:

Dossy and Bossy said...

Wow! I could just picture your story as a Lifetime movie, about how a lovely young woman makes good in the big city and goes on to become a Celebrity Chef on 3 different continents! "After the first 2 weeks her feet were used to to the grueling 10 hour days, and the mistrustful co-workers thawed out enough to allow her to participate in a little harmless hazing which involved a kitchen knife and some sharp Japanese characters!" I can see it now. You're going to be a great success!

Amanda Rudow said...

Suzy: LOL! Why thank you. How glamorous you make me sound. Make it 4 different continents and we have a deal. ...You can be my agent.

James Rudow said...

I'll fund the project..