That's not to say that I didn't have a grand old time over the past few days. My first birthday celebration went a little something like this:
Me(a week before): I wanna go to Sizzlers.
Keren: What? Yay! Sizzlers!
Melinda: Huh?
Mom: Good idea! Then we can spend the rest of the day walking around Inokashira, visiting the zoo, maybe do a little shopping in Kitchijoji, then hop over to Shibuya for some karaoke, then maybe whiz over to Ebisu and visit our favourite bookstore, and oh I’ve been wanting to nip over to Shinjiku for some bura-bura window shopping for a while now...
Dad(the morning of the 11th): What? You want to go to Sizzlers? Why didn’t anyone tell me...?
Then my next birthday celebration went a little bit like this:
Me(the morning of the 12th): *groggy*
Keren: HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYYYAYYYYYYAYAYAYAYAY!! OMG YOU’RE EIGHTEEN!
Me: urgh
Melinda: Keren, shut up.
Dad: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Me: *grunt*
Melinda: Dad, shut- um. I mean. Did someone say coffee?
And the next one:
Me: Sup.
Coworker: I just found out it’s your birthday today, why didn’t you say something, I’ve been stuck here all day and I could’ve gotten you something, I can’t believe you’re only eighteen I keep thinking that you’re nineteen or twenty and oh god I’m so hungry, do you want to eat something? Here, I’ll make something for us to eat.
Me: Awesome. I’ll dig out the icecream.
Hungry customers: Are hungry.
Us: Aw shucks.
Then four hours later:
Dad: Surprise! Isn’t it so surprising that all of us PLUS our really good friends who also happen to be our neighbours have come to celebrate your birthday at your workplace?
Me: I actually kind of am shocked that you all feel like overeating again a mere 24 hours after our stint at Sizzl-
Akiko: I got you a huge present!
Ichiro: And I never go out to eat and socialize this late at night but I’m doing it for you!
Keren: OMGOMGYOU’REEIGHTEEN!
Melinda: God. The food’s coming so late.
Mom: Paaaaanda. I remember when you were a wee goblin-looking child who used to wake up every morning and sit on the potty and-
Everyone: Oh God. Please not this story again.
Then, 2 hours later:
Dad: EVERYONE GO UPSTAIRS AND DO THE DISHES NOW AND AFTERWARDS DROP AND GIVE ME 500, STAT.
Mom: Especially you, Amanda, I don’t care if it’s your birthday or not.
Upstairs: *Aika’s phone rings*
Me: Huh?
Everyone: SURPRISE, AREN’T YOU SURPRISED?
Aika: *leers* I got you a cake now give me a kiss.
Dad: *is disapproving*
Aika: *is apologetic*
Melinda: Can someone please get a knife so we can eat this thing? I’m hungry again.
Keren: *opens all of my presents*
Mom: Oh, what a nice bag you got that I want so much! Amanda, I do so much for you, I’m such a good mother, in fact when you were a little goblin-looking two year old I often had to take your potty every morning and-
Dad: *leaves the room for a second*
Aika: Heyyyyyyy Amaaaaaanda. So you’re eighteen now, huuuuh. *sidles*
Me: ... DAAAAAAAADD!!!
So that was an eventful birthday. I ate too much, and got hit on too much, and definitely got way too many awesome presents, but otherwise it was totally awesome.
Also, my laptop officially gave up the ghost to a nasty little trojan
10 comments:
Oh a nice long post...and I MISSED YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!
I've been away too long. I'm going to go beat myself up.
Happy Birthday!!! I love you Mandy! Have a great time being 18 cuz it only lasts a year. Then you're 19.
Happy B'day little sis. Not so little anymore!! Wish you were nearer so I could take you out to party properly at an 18+ club, now that you're finally legal...you must come see us over here in Texas sometime, now that you have both Suzy and I living over here.
Love you and miss you xx
Panda, happy, happy birthday. Tory is almost older than you were when you came to stay with us and sometimes I look at her and feel amazed - you seemed so much older somehow. Anyway, Stephen sends his love and we both wish you a great 18th year! Come see us sometime and keep up your writing. You're good at it.
... Amanda, go rock the world. The rest of the older clan are doing it.... you will too. It's in the blood. Your purpose is true. You're older sisters and brothers are living it and so will you. Just keep that one place in your life where the Lord has his haven. That's your lifesaver. Give it whatever name you want.... that's up to you.
You'll do just fine. Happy Birthday
Love, Daddiya
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! YOU LIVE IN A ZOO! Clearly...from your posting. It sounds like you had a great time. Can't believe you're 18...you know, time-wise...but otherwise you've always been very mature. The world is your oyster. Which is a little bit of a strange saying. But I mean well.
And please, come visit us!
Ah, you are no longer a child. I weep for your lost innocence. Petronius, the weeping vase. I exhort you: Always carry a cane with a hidden weapon inside it, preferably a sword. If someone grabs you from behind, stomp their instep and bring your calf sharply up into the groin. Go now, and seize the world by it's pigtails.
Happy Birthday!
obviously, from young Freddy's post above, we Rudow's are "doing it" .. whatever "it" is. (in Freddy's case, drugs.)
Happy Birthday luv! Don't get too anxious to get older. Believe me, you'll be 30 before you know it, and you'll look back on your 18th year and.. well.. actually you won't remember it, so never mind. :)
xoxoxo - Adrianne.
Happy Birthday!!!u dnt wanna wish for the 20s ur very happy where u r trust me! You've got the 2 best years ahead of you!
Aich: It did drag on... I just had so much to tell.
Story of my life.
It's fine, please please don't do yourself harm just because of little old me... and you're right. I'm just going to live in the moment. And I don't want to be 19.
Becca: Thank you.
Eh, no matter how old I get I'll always be the 'little sis'. I'm okay with it ;)
I would love that. When the day that I have enough money and time to take my SAT test comes, I'll be knocking on your door, just wait...
Amber: That's a mind-boggling thought. I wish I could see them, they must be intimidating, intelligent giants by now.
I highly doubt that... I'm sure your memory has been tempered with time. I have fond memories of breaking all of your valuables and refusing to exercise.
Thank you, and Steve too. Say hi to the girls for me :)
Suzy: LOL you don't know the half of it, I'd say it's more like a madhouse and we're all claiming to be Napoleon.
Then the world must be delicious.
Like I forewarned above, if you keep that invitation open I just may well take advantage of it!!
Chris: HAHAHAHA A PIMP CANE.
ME WITH A PIMP CANE, AND A GLORIOUS TOP HAT.
Watch it pal, you're sending me down a dangerous road.
Thank you for the birthday wish and the advice, I'm sure I'll be using it (the advice, that is) in the future since I have no older brother nearby to be protective over me. Gene's too busy getting engaged in Noda to really notice. I don't blame him, Sayama's really boring.
Adrianne: LOL, well, whatever works for him. In my case it must be aging prematurely. I'm already greying.
Thank you, and I'll try to take your advice and stay firmly in the present... and maybe it's a good thing that my memory won't retain anything from this year...? Eh, who knows.
Mac: Thanks Mac, I trust your judgment. :)
Happy Belated Birthday!!! I am have under the weather in health for 5 months and I forget this day! How are you? I love you!
L,U. Ted
Post a Comment