Friday, October 01, 2010

Santa

It feels like Christmas! I got home an hour ago, bone tired from working late nights and early mornings the past week, to find two packages waiting for me in the mail.

First package: Drugs! Lots and lots of free drugs!! My company - no doubt understanding that doped up employees are happy employees - dishes out an alloted amount of health care points annually to its slaves. These points can be used in a multitude of awesome ways, and I've been looking forward to this package so much it feels like Christmas.



Shiny SHINY drugs!


Second package: If there is anything in life better than narcotics (besides the obvious), it has to be books. I tried out something for the first time with Amazon - ordering without a credit card, and paying via convenience store - and this was the result.



I've already read these both in pdf form, but I know I'll enjoy this second reading more. God knows I know the story by heart already.

Generation Kill , written by journalist Evan Wright who hitchhiked into Baghdad with the Marines of the First Recon Battalion (who spearheaded the War on Terror), is... indescribable. Which is a stupid thing to say when I'm trying to explain why I'm so in love with it, but maybe it's a good thing. Do you feel like reading it for yourself? NO? MY LOVE FOR IT SHOULD BE PROOF ENOUGH THAT IT IS WELL WORTH YOUR TIME, OKAY.

deep breaths now.

One Bullet Away is a memoir of Nathaniel Fick, who is also mentioned extensively in Generation Kill. He was a Lieutenant with the First Recon Battalion - and not just any old LT, mind, but an extremely intelligent, daydream-worthy, Neo-from-the-Matrix hunk of awesome who stole the hearts of his men... oh, and mine, too.

So, if you read both of these books simultaneously, like I did? You pretty much get a 360 degree view of what happened during the invasion, from both an officer's point of view and the view of a reporter who rubbed elbows with a bunch of loud-mouthed, bitchy, opinionated, mostly brilliant Recon Marines for months. Basically, your mind will be blown.

Can't wait to dig in tomorrow on the train.

4 comments:

Seiko Hashimoto said...

they drug you!? Thats brilliant!

P.S:
your word verification thingy is unnecessary

Jabberwocky said...

Generation kill is awesome. I've read the book 2x, and watched the mini series that was on HBO like a year or so ago... if you haven't seen it, WATCH IT!

Also, yay for drugs. :)

Mac said...

LOL! Bufferin! wow dose look like a happy day for u!! Glad the ordering thing work out for u, was worried about the payment part bt arnt u a smart girl! hehe..oh & the Irony of u being given drugs by the very ppl responsible for the pain made me laugh bitterly..

Amanda Rudow said...

Seiko: inorite?!! Next year I'm getting the ThighMaster equivalent thingy, though, I could use it.

(I was getting spammed a lot last year, but I took it off for you anyway. I'll just redirect the spam flow to your blog)

Jabberwocky: The miniseries!!! I forgot to mention it. I was so happy that they didn't alter much, even chose the perfect actors and KEPT RUDY REYES, THANK THE GOOD LORD.

I should've known you'd've been lightyears ahead of me reading material wise :D

Mac: Super happy, and the Bufferin came in handy right away, too...

I forgot to mention that the Amazon thing was thanks to you -__- Sorry! You're the master genius here!

Trust me, I had my bitter laugh before turning to write up a happy blog post.