Sunday, October 19, 2008

How Do I Love Thee?

Let me count the ways.

...

Wait, before I do that, let me think about what love is, really.

To be honest, Love, as a subject, has been on my mind quite a bit lately. Hence the silly opening lines above.

A friend and I were talking recently, and the subject of love came up, as it somehow inevitably always does. She told me, firmly and in no uncertain terms, that she did not believe in real love before 18. Anything before that, according to her sound logic, was nothing but puppy love; thus, relationships that start young always end in separation and/or divorce.

I admit I went quiet for a little before switching to a completely different topic. Not exactly subtle of me, but I hadn't had the time to fully analyze the subject and wasn't comfortable talking on it.

Love's always been a touchy subject for me; I, myself, tend to have a hard time differentiating between loving someone and being in love.

I figure this is because of the situation I was brought up in. My entire childhood was spent amongst dozens of adults, most of them in healthy physical and emotional relationships. Thus, from a young age I've looked on public displays of affection as normal, not something to think twice on.

Also, love was a very natural, every-day thing. Saying "I love you" not only became habitual but also reflexive, as it was said to me and around me so frequently. Physical contact, in the form of hugs or even just pats on the shoulder, was also a constant - which may explain why I automatically hug people when I first see them and when we part, although it doesn't explain why I've grown a sort of aversion to being touched unnecessarily. But that's something I don't plan on delving into just yet.

Since my entire life was spent in such a loving, sheltered atmosphere, the whole concept of "love" in general has become somewhat nondescript to me. I don't value it like I should, which is the sad but honest truth. I have become such a loving person that having someone tell me they love me, even in a serious, relationship-oriented way, isn't something I'd lose sleep over, debating my answer; I'll automatically respond in kind, because it's been ingrained into my mind that if someone tells me they love me, it's only polite for me to feel the same way. And the problem is, ever since I was little, I did love every one I lived with - in a platonic way, of course - and so I had no trouble with this logic and proceeded to live a life very full of love.

(I realise that I've begun to ramble but this is kind of a self-discovering post, so please bear with me.)

So...I suppose I do believe in love before 18. Why? Because emotions are so very flighty.

I think it's definitely probable for a person to be truly in love with someone at 16 in a way that someone at 30 couldn't, for the simple reason that the way every person's minds and hearts work are so individual. I think it's unfair to group everyone under 18 together and claim that they don't have enough emotional depth to feel anything other than fleeting puppy-love.

I do agree that inexperience does have a large impact on young people's ability to comprehend real love; for example, I understand that a 14 year old may have sex for the first time and misinterpret the inevitable connection that forms for love. I myself was naive enough to make this mistake. But not everyone's emotions are so easily manipulated. Like I said, no one person is the same as any one else.

Okay, now that I've officially begun to Not Make Sense, I'll conclude here.

Kudos to you if you actually read that whole thing.

really?
i mean, really?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a great believer in THE love

Boo ya said...

kudos to me I read it all. and yes i believe you can fall in love truly before you turn 18, some people that are 20 have the brain of a 15 year old. age has nothin to do with it!

Anonymous said...

Course you can fall in love at 16. I didn't, but that's just because I met Mike at 19.
And just the same as a 14 year old, a 30 year old can have sex for the 3000th time and STILL "misinterpret the inevitable connection that forms for LOVE."
Aaand I miss your hugs every week till Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

well dont you think that from the ages 12 to maybe 18 you aren;t quite in control of your emotion, hormones are. so it a way, falling in "love" for a teenager isn't the same as when a 30 year old does because their hormones r in control of their lives. that explains why teenage sweethearts never last.

hehehe...i didn;t really read ur post, i just used my excellent skimming skills (I use it on everyone's blog!)

Anonymous said...

I agree that you can fall in love before you're 18.
I've never been in love, but I've never gotten close enough to any guy that's not family to actually fall in love with him.
But it IS easier to think you're in love when you're 14 when you're really not.

Its funny how you have an aversion to being touched unnecessarily, because I'm the exact same way. I hug people all the time, but if someone lays a hand on my shoulder or something, I automatically jump.

Amanda Rudow said...

ang: ah, yes, i can tell.
and get your damn blog off private, would you!!

kathy: haha, cheers. yep, that was my conclusion too, after hours of self-examination. it's a pretty fool-proof logic, innit?

aich: sigh. you and mike; you're like a fairy tale. you lucky people with your CHILDREN and your LOVE.

mari: well, thanks for the skim, anyway. shows you CARE that i'm ALIVE (bitter? me? no!)
but if said 12-18 year old had the maturity level and depth, would you change your view on this?
actually, i'd be doubtful of anyone from ages 12-15-ish. that's a bit young, even just for sex.

becca: hi! it's a pleasant surprise to see you here.
wellll yes. love's a tricky thing, which is an oft-used excuse but still a valid one.
i know, it's so weird! i get really uncomfortable and sometimes violent when people touch me when i don't know they will, like from behind.

Ange Johnson said...

yeah it's been off private nowadays.

Anonymous said...

kudos to me... and to you for the good post. Love stinks and nobody means it. What can I say

Quiet Revolution said...

Kudos to Me, as I've read the whole thing over not once, but twice! The rambling paid off, dear, 'cause I'm now a devoted fan of this site!
Well said, my dear, well said!

Mom

Anonymous said...

Well hello dear one. I am here to receive my due kudos, hopefully a cut above the rest. For I didst read thine entire post, not skim. I have never liked skimming, whether milk or literature (yes, your ramblings do qualify), thus I must deem something worthwhile before dipping even a proverbial finger in to taste...you know, I don't actually know how I am going to finish sentences until I start writing them. I don't think I have ever commented on here, and I believe you deserve a comment because...I LOVE YOU!! hahaha, you had that one coming. That little phrase, however, was no ingrained, automatic reaction from my loving sheltered atmosphere. It was thoughtfully considered, wrung tightly to squeeze out the last drops of insincerity, and then cleverly splatted on your blog in Caps, no less.
And last of all, a comment on love and age. One loves truly when one is willing to give their life for another, and have the deed go unnoticed. This is what it means to "do it, just because". I have known the very young, the very brash, the very old, and yes, even the very pubescent and/or hormonally dysfunctional to possess this rare emotion. I would also venture to say that there are those who never will, regardless of age.
Like Shakespeare (I think) said, "Those who don't know why, love truly."

Teacup said...

I venture to say that I think you can love more fully when you're younger because you haven't yet built the cynicism, hurt and negativity that can come with being older. I know, because even though I do love it's never with the same depth and emotion that I loved with before and that is simply because of the walls that I've built up around my heart to keep it safe. I miss loving completely without running it through the gauntlet of logic and I think it's a treasure worth fighting for and keeping alive.