Sunday, July 04, 2010

Feature

Guess what! Guesswhatguesswhatguesswhat!!



Have you guessed yet? (Hint: This is the July issue of AJCA (All Japan Chef's Association)'s monthly magazine)



KYAAAA!!!

Our Chef de Cuisine, the honorable N. - or Chef N, as he'll be referred to as from now on - pulled me into his office when I was about to leave to show this to me. I shrieked and dropped it. Then I turned bright red. He called me melodramatic, and I agreed whilst taking a second look.

Me: Aaaaaaaahhh. Aaaaaah.
Chef N: Yes. Every Chef in Japan belonging to WACS is going to see this and go, "Oh, look! There's Amanda!"
Me: Aaaaaaah.
Chef N: That includes everyone in this hotel.
Me: AAAH! I'M WEARING PINK!!

Speaking of pink, I don't think that blush has quite worn off yet.

Today I had my first taste of real pressure. I tagged along with two coworkers to a pre-Wedding Party tasting, or whatever it's called in English, where the soon-to-be-happy-couple and their friends tried out our wedding course.

Our kitchen is in charge of appetizers, so in a nutshell: we brought up the dishes we prepared before hand, laid them out, garnished/sauced them under Executive Chef T's watchful eye, and then let the waiters taken them into the next room, where the party of 30 were waiting. Executive Chef T was in a bad mood - something went wrong in the soup section, as per usual - and so everyone was extra careful to make things perfect. He didn't criticize my plating, so I must've done something right. Anyway, it was exciting. I hope I can do it again soon.

(PS: The ghastly image of my right foot is a special bonus, because I love you.)

5 comments:

Dossy and Bossy said...

I am so excited for you. I feel that I am watching you become a matured chef-person before my very eyeballs, and it warms the cockles of my soul. Plating! How wonderful! You're doing such interesting things, and have made such good decisions! Carry on!
Also, your right foot is as lovely as all the Rudow right feet. This may or may not be a compliment.

Mac said...

Dam! that really sounds like the real deal! I can feel the pressure from just reading this! yikes!

Amanda Rudow said...

Dossy and Bossy: I feel like I have my own personal cheerleader. Your comments cheer me up so much, especially when I'm tired and grumpy and occasionally take my job for granted.

YES! LOL! We have our own special brand of feet.

Mac: It was intense... but in a good way. How's your job doing, btw?

James Rudow said...

Here, here... all hail the venerable right foot!

Very much like mine... oops.. wrong thing to say.

You're doin' great, honey. Hang in there. Prayin' for you.

Unidentifiable Subject said...

Zoom in a bit next time, luv; we can't see your face - a tragedy, to be sure.
- Mindy