Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Kitchen Heiarchy

It's a little complicated. There are levels of chefdom, and then more levels of vassalcookdom, and then a final layered level for the lowliest of the lows, the trainees.

At the very top is Executive Chef T. Directly beneath him is Chef N. That's the most straightforward it gets, because after that it spiderwebs into the 300+ members of the hotel kitchens.

Basically:
E.Chef T.
|
Chef N.
|
French
|
Prep
|
Cold
Senior Chef M.
Senior Chef S.
Junior Chef Y.
Junior Chef F.


...etc. etc. ad infinitum. I'll probably have to make a complete flowchart just so you can keep up with all the people I'll most likely be talking about.

Anyway, the lucky subject of today's brief lunch break post is Senior Chef S.

He's a prickly man by nature, but that's not at all unusual in this world. Actually, when he does smile and joke around, he can be downright pleasant.

Not that I've experienced this firsthand, mind you. I have the distinct feeling that he really, really dislikes me. Honestly. I'm not being melodramatic this time. He makes a point not to look at me if he can help it, and when I do catch him glancing, he's always got a pained look on his face, like the mere sight of me causes him intense heartburn. Today he took it to the next level and looked the opposite direction whilst giving me instructions.

Honest to God. The opposite direction. As in the soot-blackened wall behind the stove.

I don't understand. Maybe he just doesn't like foreigners invading his lair? Maybe he doesn't like my anal retentive need to wash/wipe everything right after I use it? Maybe it's my eyebrows. I don't know, I apply my makeup at 6 in the morning, sometimes it comes out looking a little wack. It's a possiblity.

Anyway, now I'm getting heartburn. And I've got another 6 or so hours of being look at like an annoying hunk of gum scraped off the bottom of a shoe.

4 comments:

Mac said...

lol yup there always one chef that just cant stand the sight of u! Its one of the challenges of working the line. But dnt worry I'm sure ur get him to look ur way in no time with ur winsome personality hehe..I mean its u who could hate u!!?

Jabberwocky said...

Look at it as a challenge. Get Mr. Snooty chef to like you.. :) Good luck! Killing people with kindess and respect has always worked for me.

King Freddy said...

Haters gonna hate. gaga-humax.

Amanda Rudow said...

Mac: Oh gosh, you're so sweet. I don't know what to say except.. eeek... and thank you. And gambaruyo.

Jabberwocky: I will! It's my personal goal now, to make him laugh once before the month ends... that gives me plenty of time :D

King Freddy: :( But me no like hating.