Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Let's Talk Work.

My one-month anniversary has come and gone in a flash. To sum up the whirlwind of activity that was the past two weeks into neat little bullet points, I have:

  • Cut a stunning amount of fruits and veggies, my knife becoming more and more like an extension of my hand with every 10 kgs of precisely chopped red onions

  • Learned how to read the faxes and notices covering every wall of the kitchen, thus enabling myself to go throughout the day without waiting to be told what to do

  • Become the new favourite slave of the inhabitants of the Butcher Room, who now steal me for a couple hours every day

  • Attended a seminar (as a special guest, go me!!) on Andalusian Iberico Ham, one of the most expensive kinds of cured ham in the world

  • Helped garnish, sauce, and plate a full course for a 400 guest party thrown by a Very Famous Celebrity

  • Gained the trust of my coworkers


  • That last one is, I think, my greatest achievement. The dynamics of my relationship with the people in my kitchen - especially ones closer to my age - have shifted so drastically, so quickly, it still takes me by surprise. Something clicked during the past two weeks, and I feel a bit like Mogli being accepted by the pack of wolves.

    And I also burned myself very badly. But that was done at home, not at work, so no matter how much pain I'm in, I have to act like nothing's wrong in the kitchen, or I get asked embarrassing questions that I don't want to answer.

    Finally... you know how my last post was about how much Senior Chef S hates me? When that switch of trust and acceptance flipped in everyone's brains, it appears to have done the same in his as well, because now whenever he addresses me he seems to do so with genuine pleasure. I actually look forward to the end of the day now, when he comes up to me to tell me "The Butcher Room wants you again," with a smile on his face. I no longer have to see that expression, the one where he scrunches up his nose like he's smelled something rotten. I can't begin to explain how liberating it is.

    So, life is still great, and getting better by the day. Just thought I'd let you know.


    (Little old me, learning to carve a leg of ham cashing in at about
    2 to 3 thousand dollars)

    6 comments:

    Jabberwocky said...

    Yay for you!! I knew you'd kick some serious ass at your new job! :) No more burning yourself though! sheesh.

    Mac said...

    Congrats on ur 1 month anniversary, my hats off to u! You officially have my admiration & RESPECT!!
    Nice to finally see a pic, but is it just me or r u losing weight! U know Im ALL for workin urself to death until all energy, even to sustain position in a vertical line is depleted. Just be sure to feed urself!..k now I'm sounding like mom..sick! On the other hand I'm in that time in life where the steady gaining of weight is unstoppable so feel free to drop by my new place with a leg of that ham! Oishiso hehe
    Oh did I mention I just recently moved near Tokyo for new job reasons etc Wish me luck! & come to our house warming BBQ & thats not a request btw!!

    Amanda Rudow said...

    Jabberwocky: Your faith in me makes me a little awed and a lot happy. Thank you. And this is bound to be the first of many burns. My clumsy side is very confident about this.

    Mac: YES! Coming from you, Mr Let-Me-Just-Tackle-Every-Single-Kickass-Profession-In-Existence, that is a true honour.

    LOL, trust me, it's just the angle of the photo and better eating habits. No energy/nutritional depletion here. And won't listen to a word you say about weight, the day you grow fat is the day I become a plastic surgeon.

    I'll crash that BBQ without invitation, thanks for asking anyway... have you set a date for it? I'll see if I have the day off :)

    Gene said...

    AMANDA!!! You're such a...perfect Mowgli! Soon, you will howl louder and longer than all the rest as you trump tigers and conquer the man-villagers while you are at it!
    just because you're a shiner girl (shiner definition: one who shines) I read your blog sometimes. :) don't tell anyone, ok? I love you SO MUCH!!

    btw, Mac is getting chubby. hahaha

    Mom said...

    Is it just me or are you looking a lot like the Chef in 'No reservations'? All serious and dignified(played by Catherine Zeta Jones)! Love the pic!

    Amanda Rudow said...

    Oh Gene. I really do miss you at times like these. And don't worry, your secret is safe with me. Just remember to delete your internet history and you'll be safe. Love you more.

    Mommy, don't be absurd. I'm way more beautiful than Catherine Zeta Jones (ZING!) It was so nice to talk to you today.