Sunday, November 08, 2009

Procrastination Is My Friend

I passed the 10,000 word goal line for my NaNoWriMo novel last night! This is very exciting for me, since the last time I attempted NaNo I ended up writing 5,000 words, giving up sometime around the middle of November in favour of carrying on a normal life, and then spacing out the novel over the next year. I'm STILL writing that novel, and it's up to something like 150,000 words.

So, my ultimate goal is to reach 60,000 words by the 30th of this month, and to clock it in at a solid 80,000 words (This is very optimistic, but that's me, Miss Cheery Pants). To put it into perspective, that would be about the length of novels such as Persuasion by Jane Austen, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, and a little less than 1984 by George Orwell.

Of course, the end result won't even hope to match the quality of the above novels. I'm just sayin', 80,000 words? Might sound like very little, but it's a lot. Enough to keep me awake past 3 am every night straining my eyes at my notebook's tiny screen for the next month and a half.

At noon today I'll be off to Shinjuku to meet other NaNo fanatics like me for a coffee and some furious novel-writing... hopefully none of them are secretly serial rapists or murderers. How awkward would that be?!

No comments: