Friday, June 27, 2008

Of Making Merry

My ickle sister Melinda had her birthday on the 24th! She turned 15; she's only a year younger than me now, but the fact remains that she's 7 cm TALLER than me, and that will always be slightly daunting.

We had a small "surprise" party for her on her birthday eve... I made a cake and Akiko made a Fruit Tower. Bless her heart.

The Birthday Girl spazzing over her presents



The cake with its sadly drooping decorations, and The Tower



YUM. i am such a cake-making god.



Then I treated Melinda to a movie. It was a good one, too, with plenty of guns, Clive Owen, and morals ("Eat your vegetables!"). Alas, the movie ran late and we miscalculated the train schedules, so we ended up missing the last train. After a few reassuring but vague phone calls to our parents we decided to walk.

So there we were, in the drizzling rain, with 5 kms of Route 16 ahead of us. It was fun, though; there were hardly any cars, so we took to prancing down the middle of the four-lane road and flipping off any truck that beeped at us (those truckers were surprisingly rude). We also found that Disney songs echo very nicely at 2 in the morning.

Keren and Melinda, standing with one foot in Iruma and one in Sayama. Good photography, innit?



Happy Birthday, Sporto.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a cool pile-of-fruits thing.
Happy Birthday Melinda I don't know you but if you're taller than Amanda maybe I don't want to cause people who are way taller than me can be scary. And as the French say, 'C'est rad, non? Joyeux Anniversaire tu chienne!'
MUAHAHAHAA =) French. Chyeah. Sugar high.

Patty said...

Happy Birthday Minda, miss you supar, you were always such good clean fun love you

MaryJane said...

Happy birthday melinda! you were always the most sane loveable person in your family. keep it up...

MaryJane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dossy and Bossy said...

Mindy! Happy Basday tsu you! You girls are going to be completely unrecognizable adults when I see you next. Love you TONS!

Manda: Flipping off truckers on a highway at 2AM...two teenage girls...YOU CRAZY NUT! Please live until your next birthday. I would like to see you all again...intact, if possible.:)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Melinda! I forget your birthday in June 24! I love you and am praying for you!!!!!
L,U Ted

Seiko Hashimoto said...

i thot that movie was a tad bit fucked. But yes boys and girls ... eat your veggies. Carrots are wicked!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday melinda. you tall tall sinny person!!! that fruit thing looks wonderful